Corner Country History & Heritage
The Corner Country is the traditional home for the Wongkumara, Wadigali and Malyangapa people, and was first explored in 1845 by Charles Sturt's Inland Expedition. In 1861 the Burke and Will's expedition passed through the east of the region. Pastoralists followed exploration, and between 1860s-1870s the area was extensively settled.
Gold was discovered in late in the 1870s, and the townships of Milparinka and Tibooburra were established.
In the 1880s a rabbit proof fence was constructed along the border of South Australia and Queensland, intersecting at Cameron Corner. Intended to keep the region free from rabbits, the fence later became, and still is, the wild dog fence.
Networks of trade routes were established from Wilcannia to the goldfields and later from Broken Hill. During this time staging posts and shanty hotels were opened up throughout the region, and travelling stock routes and public-watering places were established to transport stock through the region.
Cameleers arrived in 1882 to save a region on the brink of starvation, and remained stalwarts of transportation through until the 1920s.
The values of hard work, mateship, resilience were values by which most of the early settlers lived, isolated from the rest of New South Wales by distance. They remain the core principles of the people of the Corner Country today, although the tyranny of distance plays a much lesser role in carving the modern day character.