Cobb & Co Tracks
Corner Country Touring
In the 1880s a miner’s trek to the Albert Goldfields began in Wilcannia and ended several weeks later on the goldfields of Mt Browne, Milparinka or the Granites (Tibooburra). The demand for transportation and a postal service led to the introduction of coaches, with Cobb and Co opening a branch in Wilcannia in 1882. This service ran twice a week to Cobham, Milparinka, Mt Browne and Tibooburra. Another service travelled to Sturt’s Meadows, Langawirra, Mootwingee (Mutawintgee), Gnalta, Tarella Tarrawingee and Eurowie.
The service was eventually taken over by Morrison Brothers, and later Kidman and Nicholas.
The coach service required a network of change stations between 16 kilometres and 40 kilometres apart. Here fresh horses were kept. The stations became shanty hotels selling liquor to passengers and providing accommodation.
Points of interest along the Cobb and Co routes:
Wilcannia and especially the old post office
White Cliffs to Milparinka Road:
- Koonenbury Range
- Ruins of shanty hotels
- Historic grave in Cobham Sandhills
* Burke and Wills crossed this area in 1860 having travelled from Menindee to Mutawintji. They were heading northwards towards the Queensland border before turning westwards towards Innamincka.
White Cliffs to Broken Hill:
Mutawintji National Park and Rockholes Hotel ruin
Silver City Highway - Broken Hill to Packsaddle:
- Series of former shanty hotels including Stephens Creek, Yanco Glen and Fowlers Gap
- Former township site Euriowie
- Euriowie Gorge
- Barrier Ranges
- Fowlers Gap Research Station and roadside sculpture
- Packsaddle Roadhouse
- Koonenbury Hills